Postal book loans
We are currently unable to send out postal books loans until further notice as both.campus libraries in Sunderland are currently closed due the corona virus. Our ebooks are still available and can be accessed via Library Search on the Library home page.
Services may differ due to COVID-19. Please see our FAQs for more information.
If you are a UK-based distance learning student, a work based learning student or a degree apprenticeship student you can request that we post books from our printed collections to you.
Who is able to request a postal loan?
We will only post books within the UK. The following students are eligible:
- students on a distance learning programme who live in the UK
- students on work based learning programmes (UK only)
- students on degree apprenticeships (UK only)
Work Based Learners and Degree Apprenticeship students
If you are on a work based learning programme or a degree apprenticeship we will need to manually amend your library account if you would like to request postal loans. Please let us know if you wish to use postal loans by sending us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Requesting a postal book loans
- Find the item you need using Library Search via the Library web page
- Click on the 'Reserve this item' button and log in using your University user ID and password
- Choose to collect from St. Peter's Library and click 'Reserve' (don't worry too much about which site you choose, we will post the books to you regardless)
- Wait for your books to arrive (library staff will post them to you as soon as they are available)
|View our guide to requesting a postal book loan|
Frequently asked questions
Is there are charge for postal loans?
We post the books free of charge but you are responsible for the return of the books and any charges to do so.
How long can I borrow the books for?
We will issue all books to you as 28 Day Loans (even if they are only available as 7 Day Loans). You may renew them for a further four weeks, provided they are not reserved by another student.
How should I return the books?
We will include the due dates of each book along with a return address label in your package. You can also check this on your library account. Please allow enough time for delivery so that you can avoid overdue fines. Until we take receipt of the book(s) you are responsible for the title. We recommend that you use a receipt form of postage. Please return the books to
St. Peter's Library,
Sir Tom Cowie Campus,
University of Sunderland,