Lost library items
If you think you have lost a library item, or that you have returned an item but it is still on your library account, please let us know as soon as possible. Failure to do so will result in the automatic generation of a bill for the replacement cost and fines of up to £15 for each item.
Once you have reported the item as lost, please recheck your home or office. It may also be useful to check the library shelves as you may have left the item in the library. Library staff will also check the shelves for the item.
Billing for the replacement cost
If we cannot find the item we will send you a bill for the replacement cost. You are liable for any outstanding library fines on the item up to the date you reported the item as lost.
- If you find the item and return it before the bill is generated, you will only pay the fines accrued up to the date you reported the item as lost.
- If you find the item after you have paid the bill we may be able to refund the amount back to you if it is within 3 months of you paying the bill and you are still studying at the University.
- If the item is not found, you must pay the bill and any fines accrued up to the date you reported the item as lost.
Buying your own replacement item
You can choose to buy a replacement item and pay any fines accrued up to the date you reported the item as lost. If you wish to buy a replacement item, you must discuss this with the library before purchasing. The library reserves the right to refuse a replacement item if you have not discussed it with us first or the item is not as agreed.
Replacement items should be:
- the same title
- from the same publisher
- the same or a more recent edition
- in new or as-new condition
Clearing your account
We will clear your library account when you have paid the bill or provided a replacement item and have paid any fines.
Please be aware that billed items are regarded as library debts, and any unpaid bills may be passed to the University Finance Department and dealt with by the University’s debt recovery procedure.
Please contact us if you have any questions on our billing procedure.
Page reviewed: January 2021